Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ending Homelessness?

I sit on a committee entitled: "The Committee to End Homelessness in Ten Years".  An extreme statement filled with promise, determination and more than a little politically generated prideful boasting.

When first appointed to participate, I thought why would a mayor set a goal that can't possibly be met? Ahh, I get it!  The sitting mayor who formed the context of the committee will be out of office two years on year #10.  Now that's smooth politics Brother.  The next mayor has the dilemma of explaining why homelessness hasn't ended.

Pressed into "voluntary" service, I went to meetings with my usual attitude of attacking problems head-on and focused on what could be accomplished with available resources.
In the three years I've been involved, the committee to end homelessness has accomplished....nothing.  No, I'm not surprised; I'm not even disappointed.  Politically generated groups don't generally accomplish anything save the publicity for the politician who formed the group.

What I've learned working on a multi-agencies committee:
1.  Each agency wants to grow their organization.  They become part of a movement to "network" with the political entity that formed the group to hopefully garner the inside track for grants that would allow for the hiring of additional staff; thereby growing their agency.
2.  Nobody wants to attack the primary problem that initiated the forming of the committee.  To do so and be wrong would cast you and your agency in a politically bad light.
3.  Don't make waves and go with the flow.  I'm not very good at this tenet as evidenced by the poorly disguised distain when I arrive.
4.  Take everything presented with a grain of salt.  You have to ask yourself: "What's in it for him/her?"
5.  If career mobility isn't an overriding concern, ask the straightforward questions.  The pained look on some of the member's faces is worth it.

But seriously, can homelessness ever be ended?  More next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment